If you are looking to adopt a parrot, then there are many options that you can look for. Many times, people look for baby parrots as their first bird. You many be surprised to learn that there are many older parrots also looking for homes. Too often, older parrots get overlooked by people looking to adopt. There are many benefits to adopting an older parrot.
Here are a few things about adopting an older parrot:
- Senior parrots haven’t lost their zest. Parrots can have the intelligence up to a 5 year old. That means they never grow up!
- Senior parrots are already trained. You wont have to worry about having the time to initially make a parrot responsive to social cues.
- Before ending up in shelters, senior parrots often come from some sort of family life which makes adjusting to a new home environment much easier than it could be for younger parrots. This may make certain parrots a great fit for households with children.
- With senior parrots, you know exactly what you’re getting. Senior parrots’ personalities are already developed so you can tell right away if they will be a good fit for your family.
- Senior parrots are grateful for their new home. Usually older parrots were neglected in their last home, but adopting the parrot will give it a second chance to enjoy a good home. A lot of people assume that rescue birds have behavior problems that led to them being relinquished, but this is usually not the case. Parrots seem to know they’ve been rescued and owners often notice an extra special sense of love and appreciation from their senior parrot.