I read this on one of the Yahoo groups and thought you might like it too. Very fitting for all animal lovers!
I want to update this item with the Copyright information provided by Stan Rawlinson.
Thank you, Stan, for allowing us to share this on our website. It is so very fitting to our birds as well, with the exception maybe of the lifespan of the birds being so much longer!
- My life is likely to last 10-15 years, any separation from you will be painful for me. Remember that before you buy me.
- Give me time to understand what you want from me, don't be impatient, short-tempered, or irritable.
- Place your trust in me and I will always trust you back. Respect is earned not given as an inalieable right.
- Don't be angry with me for long and don't lock me up as punishment, I am not capable of understanding why? I only know I have been rejected, you have your work entertainment and friends I only have you.
- Talk to me sometimes, even if I don't understand your words I understand your voice and your tone, "you only have to look at my tail".
- Be aware that however you treat me I'll never forget it, and if it's cruel it may affect me forever.
- Please don't hit me I can't hit back, but I can bite and scratch and I really don't ever want to do that.
- Before you scold me for being uncooperative, obstinate, or lazy, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right foods or I've been out in the sun too long, or my heart is getting old and weak, I may be just dog tired.
- Take care of me when I get old. You too will grow old and may also need love, care, comfort, and attention.
- Go with me on difficult journeys, never say, "Ican't bear to watch" or "Let it happen in my absence". Everything is easier for me if you are there. Remember, irrespective of what you do I will always love you.
© Stan Rawlinson 1993
Dog Behaviourist and Obedience Trainer
0208 979 2019
I changed this slightly from my initial 1993 poem
this is the final draft version 1998