A Safe, Effective, and Economical Way to Keep Your Bird's Cage Healthy and Clean.
No one likes to live in a dirty house, and your bird is no different. As a bird owner, you are responsible for keeping your pet's cage neat and clean -- a must to ensure his health and comfort.
Birds can be messy creatures, and sometimes you need more than just a damp rag to tackle stubborn stuck on food and droppings. Because birds are so sensitive to chemical fumes and odors, caution must be taken to choose a cage cleaner that won't harm your pet.
Here is an easy recipe for a safe and effective cage cleaning solution that you can make at home. A few minutes and a couple of household ingredients can go a long way in helping you keep your bird's cage nice and clean – as well as saving you a lot of time and elbow grease.
What You Will Need:
- 1 clean, empty spray bottle
- 3 cups hot water
- 3 tbsp Baking Soda
- 2 tsp liquid Grapefruit Seed Extract
Grapefruit Seed Extract may not be a familiar ingredient to all bird owners, but is completely safe for birds and contains natural enzymes that act as a disinfectant to kill bacteria and help break down organic material.
Tips for Mixing:
- Make sure that the water is hot. Hot water is better at dissolving powdered ingredients like baking soda. You want to make sure that the ingredients are as evenly distributed throughout the mixture as possible.
- Mix ingredients one at a time. Again, to make sure that the mixture is as homogeneous as possible, you should blend the ingredients into the hot water one after another.
- Be sure to use a clean spray bottle. Recycling an empty bottle that was once filled with a commercial cleaner is never a good idea. Although you can wash the bottle out, many times remnants of the chemical that once filled it will remain. The safest thing to do is to buy a brand new spray bottle. These can usually be purchased for under a dollar and can be found at virtually any grocery or department store.
Used often, this homemade cage cleaner can be a handy tool for making your life as a bird owner just a bit easier. In addition to being a cheap way of effectively cutting through dirt and grime, it provides a safe alternative to harsh commercial cleaning agents. Protect your bird's health and your environment by trying this easy and economical cage cleaning solution.